Tech Talent Link
***We are unable to work with 3rd-party or corp-to-corp candidates for this role***
General Position Summary:
The primary responsibilities of the Network engineer (NE) include building, installing, maintaining, supporting, and troubleshooting the enterprise server and network environment (LAN, WAN and VoIP). The NE ensures operational service levels are met with high systems availability and maximum performance for both voice and data networks. The NE is responsible for performance tuning, capacity planning and systems optimization for the network, firewalls and in support of related systems for Windows 2012/2016/2019 Server, Linux/CentOS, VMware server (ESXi, NSX, SRM, vCenter/vSphere 7x) .
The NE provides for the efficient and secure use of the company's computer networking technology. Areas include, but are not limited to: Networking, Firewalls, VPN, Private networks, VMware NSX, ESXi, vSphere and Site Recovery Manager, operational support, and documentation.
The NE also assists with systems testing and documentation in support of the companys’s disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
Primary Functions/Major Responsibilities
- Responsible for all location’s FortiGate Firewall system. Installs systems products (bios and firmware updates, OS and OS updates, application, and security patches, etc.) and hardware upgrades.
- Ensures that server systems and networks maintain required availability, performance, and capacity for growth. Installs systems products for VMware environment, NSX and all hardware switching (bios and firmware updates, OS updates, application, and security patches, etc.) and hardware upgrades.
- Configure automatic backups for all firewall, networking equipment and configurations.
- Responsible for solving technical issues which can include VMware OS, NSX and FortiGate Firewalls
- Maintains all company’s routing and implements OSPF/BGP routes and changes to maintain high available networking.
- Manages operational service levels, including any required internal or client-demanded Service Level Agreements (SLAs), documentation, tracking, and reporting.
- Provides technical support for company staff as well as extended client staff.
- Resolves chronic operational problems that have been escalated beyond Help Desk first response.
- Provide periodic status reports on projects and system conditions as required/requested by the VP, IT Operations.
- Assists VP, IT Operations with other duties as assigned.
- Executes additional activities that support Information Technology as assigned by the VP, IT Operations
High degree of complexity, wide diversity of technology and business situations. With oversight and direction from the Network Operations Manager, determines and develops systems best practices and procedures. Operates independently with little direction/supervision
High. Effort includes research and reading of product manuals, some physical work in installing equipment.
Specific Job Skills
This position requires the following skills/experience (in named or similar technologies):
- Ability to configure Firewall ACL’s, VPN’s, OSPF, BGP, for FortiGate and VMware NSX
- Ability to perform all systems engineering functions in 2012/2016/2019 Server, Linux/CentOS (including Apache Web Server), VMware server (ESXi, vCenter/vSphere 7x) and enterprise network (LAN/WAN) environments.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve server and network problems quickly and accurately.
- Ability to manage operational service levels, including SLAs.
- Ability to design, analyze and plan projects.
- Ability to work effectively with vendors, internal staff, and other company/client staff.
- Ability to quickly analyze and understand business functions and client needs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Time management skills (including task prioritization).
Some coordination and oversight from VP, IT Infrastructure & Operations
Perform job functions and duties in compliance with company policies and applicable laws.
Communication with upper management and all departments, as well as senior-level client management.
Education and/or Experience Required
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Computer Science, business or a related discipline. Five years progressive experience in information technology system engineering, system management, and system operations.
Must be able to work normal business hours or other hours as designated, Monday through Friday in an office environment. Must display a willingness to work additional hours, if required, for completion of the department and position responsibilities.
The work is of an intellectual nature. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit for prolonged periods. Specific vision abilities required include close and medium distance vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice and communicate through human speech. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, fax, copier, writing tools, scissors, and other standard office equipment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Apply with Github Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed